Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ski trip

This last week, our school went to Showdown for a ski trip. 4 of the 5 students from our school were able to attend, along with one parent from each family. Also, 2 other rural schools in the area joined us. And, my husband.John was a bit apprehensive, as he has never been skiing before. As some of you know (more than I thought...word travels fast) he thought maybe if he was going to do this thing, he was going to snowboard. However, on the way up the mountain he decided skiing might be a better option.

The man was stuck in lessons with the kids, and picked up a few things. Unfortunately, he was having a few difficulties and getting frustrated at lunch time. So, he and I spent a little time on the bunny slope, and it was realized he should just go up the lift and try the mountain. The solution was tackling the mountain! The bunny slope didn't provide enough momentum, and after a couple runs down the mountain, he was a skiier.

My day, you ask? Well, I got all the kids through rental and onto the bunny slope, got myself through rental and spent some time capturing pics of lessons, then took a couple runs with one of the parents. I tell you, it has been years since I skiied, and it took a couple runs before I was floating down the hill! I am still a cautious skiier, though. We ate lunch, and as I said, spent some time with John. Then, I went up the lift and down the hill with one of my students a couple times, and that little guy was fast! No fear! He beat me down, every time. I took a break, then went down the slope one more time with John. My legs didn't want to work after that, so I was done. My knees hurt, as well as my calves, so I guess I know what I need to work on for exercise!

Most excitingly, John wants to go back. I was afraid this may be a one-time thing, but he enjoyed himself once he got the knack, and wants to go again! Mission accomplished!!!

2 comments:

TraciG said...

Fun stuff Marisa... When I was in H.S. we used to do an annual trip to showdown for our h.s. youth group. It used to make me so mad to see those pint-sized runts buzzing by with no poles.. they could seriously ski circles around me. I havent' been skiing for a few years... I too would probably be inable to move the next day... need to do a little working out I'm thinking...

See you soon!
T.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Here's a little something: I've never been downhill skiing either! Cross country every winter, but no downhill. Isn't that sad? But I had to laugh...cousins from the flatland!

Glad it all went well and that you wrote about your day! You two are a pretty cute couple, on your skiis. Too late for a Christmas card picture, but maybe next year, huh?!