Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lefse!



Last Friday evening I made lefse. If you have ever made lefse, you know it is a painstaking process, but with delicious results. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the process, let me fill you in. Lefse is a Norwegian treat made from mashed or riced potatoes. When I have an excess of leftover mashed potatoes, I try to make lefse; keep in mind there must be a lot of leftover mashed potatoes, or it's hardly worth it. There are times I've watched them come off my grandma's lefse griddle and almost instantly into someone's mouth. As wedding gifts, I received the lefse griddle, lefse rolling pin and cover, ricer, lefse turner, and rolling platform. (Not sure of the actual name of the platform, but it has a cloth cover for rolling out pastries) So, I set about my annual lefse making last Friday... after creating the dough, you roll small amounts out thin and transfom them from the platform to the hot griddle. Cook until brown splotches appear, turn and do the same on the other side. Apply butter and sugar, and enjoy!


This has long been a favorite in my family, and John loves it too. I was going to post this sooner, but since I just ate the last piece after school, I figured it was safer now!

4 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

Uff-da!
Lefse is one of my favorite foods! How can it NOT be...potatoes AND bread, all in one package. So how come you haven't had lefse night for bookclub?

Love these pictures!

Marisa said...

Did you read about how fast they go? Also, it's a long, arduous process. But, it would be kind of fun, with everyone helping and visiting! I might have to keep that in mind when I pick a book next year! A good Norwegian book, Lutefisk and Lefse for supper!

Kerri said...

I LOVE lefse!! I grew up making it and eating it....Poulsbo, WA has the Viking Fest each May and it's tradition to make it for that event. However, I don't have a recipe for it here in Spokane. Mind sharing? I have all of the tools back home still...I'll have to grab them out of hibernation. Lutefisk...bleck! :)

TraciG said...

I'm with Kerri---I'll forego the lutefisk! I remember when I was in 4th grade. I went to a country school and we were doing a unit on Norway. Our adorable little teacher, Miss Watts, trusted my classmate Jill and I to go over to her little teacherage trailer and make lefse. I'm pretty sure we had mashed potatoes all over the walls and the ceiling... and I recall that the lefse was a little bit thick and lumpy. I haven't tried to make it since then, but love to eat it. My sister and her husband live in Opheim, home to the Lefse Shack, and they bring some for holidays, but it's not the same as the fresh stuff!
Love you!