Friday, June 12, 2009

Fencing

No, not the Olympic sport, the process of creating an enclosure, most likely for livestock in these parts! Yesterday I joined John for a day of fencing, and I learned many things about this process, which are most likely only a drop in the bucket. It would take me years and years to learn even some of what the man in this family knows about the subject, and even longer to emulate his skill, but he did teach me a few things, and I think I may remember some of them, for a little while. We created an entirely new stretch of barb-wire fence, connecting 2 existing fences, replacing another. This involved putting in corner braces, bracings for a gate, and another bracing where an existing fence was joined. I was given jobs like wrapping chain around old posts so they could be removed, and even ran the bobcat for a short time. I also ran the level to make sure posts were level and helped to spool out the wire, and run errands. Besides putting in the bracings, we stretched the bottom wire, laid wire for upper strings, and pounded metal posts. Of course when I say we, I mean John with some assistance from me; I did no stretching or pounding! It was a day of learning, sharing, bonding, and pondering, and although I came away exhausted from a day in the sun, I'm glad Igot the opportunity! Here are a few pics!

1 comment:

TraciG said...

Not the funnest job when it's hot out! When we were little and we got in trouble, we had to help "dig" the holes, although it might have been more punishment for Dad than us! I remember going fencing with my dad and napping on the pick-up seat, listening to KMON in Great Falls. Good memories!