Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Life is like a Bowl of Cherries


Flathead cherries, to be specific.

Okay, I was going to get all philosophical about how cherries are like life, but why don't you tell me how you think cherries are like life, and I'll tell you how these ended up on my kitchen counter.

As you may have noticed in an earlier post, we went to Polson for several days on vacation and visited my great-aunt Jean. Jean is the ultimate hostess; she planned meals, bought food, took us out in the boat, had accomodations for several nights, several people, and made sure we were never bored, and when we asked to just relax and do nothing, she obliged, once she was certain that was what we REALLY wanted to do. It is one of the most relaxing and beautiful places I've ever been, and Aunt (ant) Jean makes it soooo comfortable. As we left, thanking her for all her hospitality, she profusely thanked us for staying with her, for helping out with meals, and for fixing a few things around the house.

So yesterday I had a phone message from Aunt Jean saying that there were cherries coming in the mail for us, and to be sure to pick them up so they didn't go bad in the post office! Along with around 10 pounds of cherries that she sent was a thank-you note for coming to visit her, and for helping around the house and with meals. Can you believe it? I love that woman. Plain and simple. How can you not, unless you really don't know her, that is. I aspire to be like her when I grow up, and need to start practicing now, I'm sure it will take a lot of practice.

2 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

YUM!!!

Okay, here's my deep, philosophical pondering on why life is like a bowl of cherries...

If you don't frequently sample with gusto, the fresh cherries of life, you'll end up with a mushy, moldy mess at the end.

What do you think?

Marisa said...

I think that's great, and I better get to eating them before they become a mushy, moldy mess!