Saturday, December 13, 2008

-30F

What does 30 degrees below Fahrenheit, windchill, feel like you wonder? I'm guessing if you've felt it, it's not something you wish to dwell on, or repeat, if you can help it. If you haven't felt it, let me be the first to tell you, it's cold. After too long, I am certain, it hurts. Why, why, why, you ask yourselves? Well, there is a drift in our driveway, and it is my "turn" to shovel it. My loving husband told me it needed to be done in order for my car to leave the drive. Logic, albeit misplaced, told me the sooner I got the problem under control, the easier it would be to keep it under control. Also, the forecast told me it will be colder tomorrow than today. So, I dressed up in SEVERAL layers, shovel in hand, and attempted to shovel the driveway. I say attempted because, as my friend Celestia says, "it was like nailing jell-o to a tree." It's still snowing. It's still blowing. And, it is cold. Cold, I tell you. Needless to say, I wasn't out there even five minutes. There is a silly looking strip of shoveled snow down the driveway. Actually, there WAS a silly looking strip of shoveled snow down the driveway. I am quite certain it has blown in by now. I'm kind of wishing I had backed my vehicle into the garage last night (smart plan Eric and Anne). Please don't be frightened, and please remember I had several layers on (and the camera adds ten pounds). Here's a pic of me attempting to nail jell-o, I mean shovel the driveway.

Let me tell you, the house feels a lot warmer, now!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Well said Marisa! I'm liking the patch of cleared pavement in front of you, but unless we all get hovercrafts, I'm thinking that everyone will be messing with drifts and submerged cars by tomorrow. I'm going to drop an apple off the deck and see if they really do shatter when they get that cold! Scratch that, I'll just make applesauce and not open any windows or doors!

The Farmer's Wife said...

You're ALIVE!!!
All I can think about is how you are set for wood, judging from the pile in the picture.
It does make a difference, doesn't it, when you come in from -30 degrees to +70?!