Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Christmas Confession

This was read at our Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, and I just wanted to share it:
I believe in Jesus Christ and the beauty of the gospel in Bethlehem.
I believe in the One whos spirit glorified a little town.
I believe in the One for whom the crowded inn could find no room
I believe in the One whose life was among the common people and
Whose welcome came from persons of hungry hearts.
I believe in the One who proclaimed the love of God to be invincible.
I believe in the One whose cradle was a mother's arms,
Who looked at people and made them see what God's love saw in them.
Who by love, brought sinners back to purity,
And lifted human weakness up to meet the strength of God.
I confess the many things that stand in the way of the true celebration
Of Christmas and of God's love.
I confess my ever-lasting need of God:
The need of forgiveness for selfishness and greed,
The need of new life for empty souls,
The need of love for hearts grown cold.
I believe in Jesus Christ, the son of the living God,
Born in Bethlehem this night, for me and for the world.
I believe that in and through Him comes God's gift of forgiveness and
New life, both here and in the world to come.
I believe in the One who was born this night that taught us to pray...

It continued with the Lord's Prayer. The Christmas Eve service was wonderful, with more than 70 people in attendance! For our little church, this was 6-7 times more than an average Sunday. What an uplifting experience. Merry Christmas, everyone.

1 comment:

The Farmer's Wife said...

Thank you so much for sharing that, Marisa! I'm going to print it out and put it in our Advent book for next year. Beautiful. There's something about a Christmas Eve service, isn't there, to sink the REAL spirit of Christmas in your heart? Hope your days off from school are glorious!